From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell Inspiron M1710
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 11:18:23
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:18:46 -0400 Colleen Beamer
4 <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > Hm, OK, I see. Does your kernel's command line contain a valid
7 > > "video=..." setting?
8 >
9 > I'm not sure what you mean here. In my make.conf file, I have the
10 > line video_cards="nvidia"
11
12 No, I'm talking about boot loader configuration (the boot loader passes
13 a command line to the kernel on which there should be a "video"
14 parameter being set). Maybe genkernel does it for you, I can't tell
15 since I never used genkernel and probably never will.
16
17 > > Are you sure you're handing it a recognized mode
18 > > string? (I.e. when there's something like "1024x768x24@70" or so,
19 > > the values aren't freely configurable but must match a valid video
20 > > mode for the framebuffer driver in question -- most of them use
21 > > those from the "modedb"). Also, you'll need not just framebuffer,
22 > > but framebuffer console support, too.
23 >
24 > I use genkernel and there is a screen resolution of something that
25 > says 1024x768 and I can't edit it. I also don't know what my
26 > horizontal and vertical sync are because it's not in my documentation
27 > and when I used ddxcinfo-knoppix -hsync, it returns 0 0 and
28 > ddcxinfo-knoppix -modlines doesn't have a corresponding mode for my
29 > monitor - the resolution is 1920x1200.
30
31 I'm really out of ideas here: I don't know how much genkernel
32 automatizes the kernel configuration and don't use it myself. Also, it
33 depends on the framebuffer driver whether it matches the configured
34 video mode with some information from the monitor.
35
36 Did you check the kernel log for errors, as suggested?
37
38 -hwh
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list