From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Another X11 problem
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:15:51
1 Once or twice per week, when I start X11 (via the startx program), my
2 display goes all black. When it happens there is no way back to a
3 working state: I can see that Xorg is running, I can exit it by hitting
4 Ctl-Alt-Backspace, but even then display does not recover. The only
5 thing I can do is hit Ctl-Alt-Del blindly and reboot, and next time it
6 usually works.
7
8 I did a diff of the Xorg logfile for successful and failed runs, and
9 they are identical except for some trivial device renumbering. Clearly
10 there is no segfault as in the other scenario recently discussed on the
11 list. It is also not a monitor problem: turning monitor on & off
12 doesn't help.
13
14 This looks like a problem with the kernel modesetting code, right? The
15 log says:
16
17 RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 4250" (ChipID = 0x9715)
18
19 How can I investigate and fix this? Is there a way without studying the
20 kernel and Xorg code?
23 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
24 Why does the arrow on Hillary signs point to the right?