From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Another X11 problem
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:15:51
Once or twice per week, when I start X11 (via the startx program), my
display goes all black.  When it happens there is no way back to a
working state: I can see that Xorg is running, I can exit it by hitting
Ctl-Alt-Backspace, but even then display does not recover.  The only
thing I can do is hit Ctl-Alt-Del blindly and reboot, and next time it
usually works.

I did a diff of the Xorg logfile for successful and failed runs, and
they are identical except for some trivial device renumbering.  Clearly
there is no segfault as in the other scenario recently discussed on the
list.  It is also not a monitor problem: turning monitor on & off
doesn't help.

This looks like a problem with the kernel modesetting code, right?  The
log says:

RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 4250" (ChipID = 0x9715)

How can I investigate and fix this?  Is there a way without studying the
kernel and Xorg code?