From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfixadmin vacation user uid/home in /etc/passwd
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 00:00:52
1 On 12/29/2010 1:36 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-12-29 3:50 PM, kashani wrote:
3 >> On 12/29/2010 9:14 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> I'm updating an old system I inherited that has postfixadmin 2.1
5 >>> installed, and I have a question about the vacation user entry in
6 >>> /etc/passwd...
7 >
8 > <snip>
9 >
10 >> I would consider a plan to upgrade to 2.3.2,
11 >
12 > I guess I could have been clearer - I said I was updating the system,
13 > and updating pfadmin to 2.3.2 is what I'm doing now... and I want to
14 > configure everything *correctly*. Right now, vacation has a shell, and
15 > it shouldn't - I just want to know if simply editing /etc/passwd is the
16 > correct way to fix it...
17 >
18 >> but it would be far simpler to build a new system and switch over to
19 >> it than upgrade in place. And safer.
20 >
21 > I already have the new pfadmin up and running, and I'll be switching
22 > over this weekend...
23 >
24 > Any idea about my other question:
25 >
26 >>> Also, out of curiosity - can /etc/passwd file contain comments?
27 >
28 > Thanks...
31 Sure you can edit it directly though you'll break anyone currently using
32 vacation as soon as you do. Make sure you fix /etc/shadow and /etc/group
33 too. Or use usermod which would be the proper way to make the change.
34
35 /etc/passwd shouldn't have stand alone comments which might cause weird
36 problems with pwconv, grpconv, etc. Use the comment field of the user.
37
38 kashani