From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:38:22
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 >> I wasn't thinking of systems with that much memory. Like you, I'd expect
6 >> your system to be faster, even if not by much, using tmpfs.
7
8 > That's what I was expecting too. It is confusing for sure.
9
10 Years ago, I used tmpfs, and it was slightly faster, but on average only
11 few seconds in an hou-long emerge.
12
13 I don't use tmpfs any more, as 8G of RAM is barely enough to run KDe here.
14
15 > Speaking of tmpfs, I should have re-emerged OOo on tmpfs. It filled up
16 > /var and died, just a few minutes before it would have finished. Oh
17 > well, I'll make /var bigger next time. Maybe a couple more Gbs.
18
19 Well, if you were using LVM, this would take less than a minute:
20
21 lvresize -L +2G /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
22 resize2fs /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
23
24 > I put
25 > that http-replicator on here when I decided to keep my old rig up to
26 > date and it just eats up my /var. I guess I could move http* directory
27 > tho. ^_^
28
29 Sure, either by changing some config file, or crating a symlink to the
30 new location.
31
32 I have a partition for portage stuff (trees, distfiles, packages,
33 tmpdir), as I don't like my /var to become full just because I emerge
34 something large.
35
36 Wonko