From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:28:05
1 On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 07:18:30AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
3 >>
4 >> Can you find one example of any situation where the linux kernel has
5 >> ever required any specific implementation of anything in userspace as
6 >> a matter of policy in its 23 year history? I'm sure you could find
7 >> some examples of cases where there just happened to be one de-facto
8 >> implementation of something, but even that might be tough with all the
9 >> diversity in the linux world.
10 >
11 > It might not be an official official requirement, but if the upstream
12 > gets rolled into systemd, then we depend on the "goodwill" of systemd
13 > devs not to go and break anybody else's userspace implementation.
14 > Lennart and "goodwill" do not belong in the same sentence. How's
15 > systemd-shim working out for Debian?
16
17 Do you have any reason to think that it isn't working out?
18
19 The systemd-shim and cgmanager developers have to play catch up but
20 I'm using both on Debian and Ubuntu and they're OK.