From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Collecting USE variables
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:09:15
1 On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > Uh, no. USE flags do not control whether packages get installed. They
4 > control whether something which has **optional** support will use it.
5 Yes, I just think it would be more usefull for beginners to have a set
6 of defaults they could use as a suggestion, to be more or less adapted
7 to their real usage. Including something alien to most may convey a
8 message like " don't touch this or else start from zero".
9 > So, for things with optional emboss support, by default the emboss
10 > support will be enabled. Which makes sense, because if you're
11 > installing science apps, you'll probably want it, and if you're not
12 I probably won't, unless I'm a biologist, and a molecular one.
13 OTH, I'll probably want tetex, which is not in the default list.
16 Regards,
17
18 Jorge Almeida
19 --