From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sendmail configuration
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 20:28:05
1 On 26/11/2020 04:09, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-11-26, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thank you for input. Maybe that is why it is so hard to find good
5 >> explanation/howto how to configure it. The config file looks very
6 >> simple, that is I decided to try it.
7 >
8 > Ah, that's another devine mystery. I believe that the small size of a
9 > sendmail config file, when compared to the number of malfunctions it
10 > can create violates several basic tenants of information theory. I
11 > think the explanation involves extra dimensions that normal software
12 > can't access.
13 >
14 The problem is that sendmail is the kitchen sink of mtas.
15
16 It was written in a much gentler time, when people hadn't even thought
17 of spam, and the standard wan link was a mag-tape in a van or a 300-baud
18 modem.
19
20 The original author (Eric Allman) got it working reasonably well and
21 then forgot about it.
22
23 Other people then customised it to buggery.
24
25 Then the Internet hit.
26
27 Then Eric tried to re-impose some semblance of design and remove the
28 worst topsy effects.
29
30 Then assorted people wrote competing emailers like qmail, postfix, etc.
31 But they all had to be sendmail-compatible...
32
33 So a fully-functional sendmail installation is the most powerful,
34 flexible mta there is out there. The snag is, most people only use 10%
35 of that power, but nobody can agree on which 10% is the most important.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Wol