From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:55:43
1 On Monday 11 Feb 2013 08:09:17 Michael Sondow wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo users.
3 >
4 > I'm new to this list, and also new to Gentoo and to Linux in general.
5 > Despite that, I think my questions are reasonable ones. They have to do
6 > with the Kaspersky Rescue Disk (KRD), which uses Gentoo, as you probably
7 > know.
8 >
9 > I installed the KRD to a 4Gb USB flash drive, in order to have an antivirus
10 > rescue disk if my computer (Asus eeepc 1000HA, Windows XP) won't boot, or
11 > has some other problem that makes running one of my usual antivirus
12 > programs impossible.
13 >
14 > KRD installed fine on the flash drive and runs just like it's supposed to.
15 > No problem there. It even connected to my wireless network right off,
16 > which sort of amazed me. I did a virus database update and a scan. Great!
17
18 Check and remove the updates file that KRD creates on your WinXP filesystem.
19 After the scan is completed this is no longer needed and takes up space.
22 > Being a curious person, though, I've been using the Gentoo apps provided in
23 > KRD (Terminal, Dolphin, Konqueror) to look at Gentoo. I see that many
24 > folders and operating system files are present. BASH works, although not
25 > all the commands are available.
26 >
27 > What I'm wondering, and it's the reason for joining this list and for this
28 > email, is: What, if anything, is lacking in KRD Gentoo to keep it from
29 > functioning as a full-fledged Linux-like operating system?
30 >
31 > Would it be possible, for example, to download any essential files that may
32 > be missing? Can application packages be added (a PDF reader, a media
33 > player, etc.)? Can missing shell commands be activated or, if absent, be
34 > added?
35
36 Yes, you can add any applications you see fit, but the LiveCD/USB image will
37 grow as a result.
40 > I've been thinking of putting a Linux-type OS onto a USB flash drive
41 > anyway, and Gentoo seems to work well (Kaspersky chose it for good
42 > reasons, I assume). So maybe I can soup up the KRD and use it as my
43 > alternative OS. Is that possible?
44
45 Yes, but if you want to install it permanently on the hard disk, you would be
46 better of doing a proper installation by following the Gentoo Guide.
49 > Any help with this, even if it's just "You can't do it", will be much
50 > appreciated.
51
52 "You can't do it" :-)
53
54 Like this:
55
56 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Build_Your_Own_LiveCD_or_LiveDVD
59 Google could also offer more up to date suggestions.
60 --
61 Regards,
62 Mick