From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:22:23
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 19/07/2013 08:56, Dale wrote:
3 >> luis jure wrote:
4 >>> hello list,
5 >>>
6 >>> i want to migrate my system, currently in a HD, to a new SSD. i
7 >>> thought it
8 >>> would be easy, but i decided to read a little before partitioning the
9 >>> disk
10 >>> (my first SDD) and now i'm really confused...
11 >>>
12 >>> i intend to have only two partitions in the SSD: one for / and the other
13 >>> for /home. i have another HD for storage, where i'm going to put swap.
14 >>>
15 >>> apparently it's better to use a GPT partitioning. are there any catches i
16 >>> should take into account? what about grub, can i just install it later on
17 >>> the ssd?
18 >>>
19 >>> thanks for any comment or pointers, i found so many different "guides"
20 >>> saying different things that i'm really confused.
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>> best,
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>> lj
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> Do you really want to put /home on a SSD?
32 >
33 > Why not?
34 >
35 > /home is the most frequently-read directory on most systems, and SSD is
36 > ideal for that.
37 >
38 > If you are concerned about wear-levelling, /home is not the danger point
42 Interesting. I'm not sure I would want mine on a SSD even if it would
43 fit on one. The only part that might help would be my .kde and .mozilla
44 directory.
45
46 I'm going to get me one of these things one of these days tho. I almost
47 got one a while back that was on sale but they had sold out. :/
48
49 Dale
50
54 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!