From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:45:05
1 On 2013-08-30 10:34 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 30/08/2013 16:29, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Why would there be a problem if someone decided to create a 3rd party
4 >> overlay *not* part of the official gentoo portage tree that contained
5 >> *only* the zfs stuff, and when this overlay was installed combined with
6 >> a zfs keyword for the kernel, portage would then pull in the required
7 >> files, and automagically build a kernel with an up to date version of
8 >> zfs properly and fully integrated?
9 >>
10 >> Would this not work, *and* have no problems with licensing?
11
12 > there is no problem with licensing in that case.
13 > The ebuild could even go in the portage tree, as Gentoo is not
14 > redistributing sources when it publishes an ebuild.
15
16 Thanks Alan! Just the answer I wanted.
17
18 Ok, so... how hard would this be then? What would the chances be that
19 this could actually happen? I'll happily go open a bug for it if you
20 think the work would be minimal...
21
22 It seems to me that I can't be the only one who would like to see this
23 happen?