From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:49:43
1 On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:39:36PM +0200, András Csányi wrote:
2 > On 17 July 2013 11:35, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:04:12 +0200, András Csányi wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Ok. How is possible to get the post-install message of an ebuild
6 > >> without re-emerge the package neither opening the log file? The man
7 > >> page of emerge cannot say anything about it.
8 > >
9 > > Read the ebuild.
10 >
11 > I don't think this is a friendly solution in 2013.
12
13 What would _you_ consider friendly? Gentoo is a source based Linux
14 distribution. That means _all_ your software is built from source; however, it
15 is _your_ responsibility to customize this software to make it work best for
16 your computer's hardware, and your software usage. Gentoo is _not_ a binary
17 distribution where every package has been built for the lowest common
18 denominator of computer, so that it works on almost anyone's computer just by
19 clicking the Install button, or some such {easy,friendly} solution.
20
21 If you were to install software on another Linux distribution, for which there
22 was no package prebuilt for that package manager, you would basically:
23
24 download source
25 untar source
26 cd source-directory
27 ./configure -help (and read the options)
28 write your own build script with your options
29 make
30 make install
31 (or whatever method for that software and distro)
32
33 You would also be responsible for reading to find out where to install the
34 software, what dependencies it requires, what permissions and groups should be
35 used, etc.
36
37 Gentoo has provided all this for you, but you must learn The Gentoo Way (TM)
38 in order to Make It Work (TM). You seem to be lacking a proper understanding
39 in that area.
40
41 If you installed Gentoo using the Gentoo Handbook (why would you not?), then
42 you should have read: 12. Where to go from here? And there you would read this
43 sentence: You should definitely take a look at the next part of the Gentoo
44 Handbook entitled Working with Gentoo which explains how to keep your software
45 up to date, how to install more software, what USE flags are, how the Gentoo
46 init system works, etc.
47
48 There is a lot of information there, and a lot to learn. But I find that
49 _most_ people _stop_ reading the Handbook at that point, and begin their
50 learning by trial and error. That is acceptable, even friendly, but it might
51 take you _much_longer_ to get that information than simply reading the book.
52
53 If you hang out in #gentoo on FreeNode you will be able to learn a _lot_ of
54 what you read on this mailing list in a much shorter time. In fact, you can
55 log the channel, and use that as another option to _search_ for support
56 answers. Often I will issue:
57 grep wicd irclogs/#gentoo.log
58 and maybe:
59 grep postinst irclogs/#gentoo.log
60 to find some answers. Then maybe that search will lead me to issue:
61 awk '/iamben/ && /postinst/ { print }' irclogs/#gentoo.log
62 because my previous search revealed that iamben gave a lot of answers
63 concerning postinst and people got their question answered.
64
65 Last but not least, there are search engines, such as Google. Just open your
66 web browser to http://wwww.google.com and type "post-install message of an
67 ebuild" and see if any of the results answers your question. The first hit for
68 me was "Gentoo Development Guide: Messages", which for me was simple and easy
69 to read, but might not be so for you if you have no experience reading/writing
70 ebuilds. The second hit was "Gentoo Forums :: View topic - How to read emerge
71 messages? (I ..." which gave 'friendly' answers to your question. (Which you
72 already got on this list, also.)
73
74 Gentoo is not considered a "user friendly" distro in 2013 by many people. The
75 primary reason is that _most_ people have been trained to "point and click"
76 but never _read_ anything. Those are the people for whom Mark Shuttleworth
77 designed Ubuntu Linux.
78
79 Gentoo wasn't designed for the "point and click" crowd. Read
80 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml to get a better idea of Gentoo's
81 intended audience.
82
83 Cheers,
84 Bruce
85 --
86 Happy Penguin Computers >')
87 126 Fenco Drive ( \
88 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
90 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
91 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
92
93 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
94 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
95 A: Top-posting.
96 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
97
98 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting