From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome not working
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 01:41:05
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 05/13/2013 04:06 AM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > When I start gdm, I get a message on the screen which says oh no,
5 > > something has gone wrong.
6 >
7 > If I had a bitcoin for every time I've seen that message I could buy
8 > all of us a beer. Maybe two :)
9 >
10 > > The log file is at
11 > > http://pastebin.com/qwNE7ee6 -- I would appreciate any help.
12 >
13 > There are no obvious problems in your Xorg log, so the real error
14 > is not logged there. I don't use gdm so I'm not sure where those
15 > errors are logged. Anyone?
16 >
17 > The main reason I don't like using one of the *dm display managers
18 > is exactly to avoid this sort of PITA where you can't even see the
19 > real error messages. That's why I use startx instead.
20 >
21 > Anyway, the trick *I* would try is to add the gentoo=nox kernel
22 > option to the grub boot prompt (assuming you use grub) to prevent
23 > gentoo from even trying to start an X session, thus avoiding gdm
24 > and allowing you to use startx so you can read the gnome error
25 > messages on the console while X starts up.
26 >
27 > If you can ssh into that machine you could also try removing xdm
28 > from your /etc/runlevels/default directory, assuming it's there.
29 > I'm not at all sure how the *dms are usually started during boot,
30 > so someone else could give you a better answer.
33 Well, I don't boot right into gdm or any display manager, I started gdm
34 by hand. I did try startx, but got the same result, but I can get the
35 .xsessionerrors, so maybe someone can figure that out.
36 Its at http://pastebin.com/JJrdxWHB .
40 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
41 How do
42 you spend it?
43
44 John Covici