From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 19:20:35
1 On 10/12/17 23:08, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >> Oddly enough, although the details are different, that passage I've
3 >> quoted pretty accurately describes how I feel about Gnome ...:-)
4
5 > I can't find it right now on Google, but I vaguely remember that
6 > Lennart asked the Gnome people to make systemd a hard dependancy. Not
7 > much later logind, which is required by Gnome, picks up systemd as a
8 > hard dependancy.
9
10 Imho that's no problem. If a higher level has a hard dependency on a
11 lower level, that's no surprise. And why should I care if someone else's
12 desktop pulls in any particular low-level plumbing. :-)
13
14 BUT! If my choice of low-level plumbing (systemd) pulls in a desktop I
15 don't want that is a BIG PROBLEM. If I'm running headless, I don't even
16 WANT a desktop !!! I more and more get the feeling that linux is
17 standardising on the Gnome desktop, which I really just DO NOT get on with.
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol