From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:03:33
1 Hi Grant,
2 on Thursday, 2007-01-25 at 08:20:37, you wrote:
3 > I successfully wrote an iso of some important files after booting up
4 > normally (minus hald, X, and vi) so that's good. Is there a utility I
5 > can run on the disk to see if there is permanent damage? Should I try
6 > re-emerging packages that are having trouble or should I try to emerge
7 > -e world?
8
9 As Thomas said, use the manufacturer's tools. Maybe smartmontools if
10 you don't have anything more specialized.
11
12 > I suppose I should see if I can write and burn iso's of everything in
13 > /home/grant/ right away. Is there a good way to get a bunch of data
14 > into multiple iso's that are each no larger than 650MB? Also, I've
15 > read man mkisofs and experimented before with trying to preserve
16 > filenames perfectly but it never comes out quite right. Can anyone
17 > recommend mkisofs options for preserving filenames perfectly?
18
19 I'd recommend trying it over a network or USB/IEEE1394 to another disk
20 if at all possible. If the HD is dying anyway, writing ISOs to it while
21 reading many files from another region of the disk at the same time will
22 kill it very quickly. Same thing with a damaged file system: the more
23 you write, the greater the damage. I'd try to connect an external HD or
24 export a partition on some machine on the net, mount the partition
25 read-only and back it up using tar. Then it's at least reformat/restore
26 if not swap HD/format/restore.
27
28 good luck!
29 Matthias
30 --
31 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
32 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665