From: James Homuth <james@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] May be OT: recommended niceness settings for Portage while using Gnome?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:55:09
1 I just got Gnome set up completely on a 5-year-old laptop with 512 MB of RAM
2 running on a P4, and am sort of halfway in the middle of playing with it. In
3 the process, I'm discovering I still need to install a few things. Just one
4 problem. I emerge said things, and the system flatlines until such time as
5 the compilation(s) are done--load is currently sitting at 2.1+. Are there
6 any make.conf settings I can tweak so that I can still actually use the
7 system while things compile, or would I be better off setting things to
8 compile, throwing in a movie, and coming back when they're done? Thanks for
9 any pointers.