From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] android and mtp
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 23:22:05
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:19:10 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > > as you may know (i didn't until today...), ICS doesn't connect the
4 > > device as a good old USB mass storage device, but rather using this
5 > > MTP thing.
6
7 No, and there's a good reason for that. In order to mount the device as a
8 USB storage device on the computer, it has to be unmounted on the phone.
9 You can't have a single filesystem directly mounted by two operating
10 systems at once.
11
12 > I think you can use mtpfs and then browse it like any other disk. I
13 > don't have any MTP device to test it myself.
14
15 I found that to be rather fragile, jmtpfs works far better for me, with a
16 Galaxy S3 and a Nexus 7.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Top Oxymorons Number 37: Sanitary landfill