From: David Corbin <gentoo.org@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Critical task upgrades (was [gentoo-user] What is the release date for 2006.1?)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 10:11:01
1 > It is a critical task, and as such, it needs to be done by an
2 > administrator, under supervision, and, thus, by hand. If I wanted any silly
3 > package admistration system messing with things like the default flags and
4 > compiler, I would better use any other distro.
5 >
6 > The problem is that a source based distro, relies deeply in the compiler
7 > and the libs, and those are tied to the profile in gentoo. So, no, an
8 > autoupdate for this will not be wellcome at all in my side.
9
10 Is there a list of what packages have a "critical task" component? For
11 example, I know that that the gcc package requires I do something manually to
12 begin using the newer version.
13
14 David
15 --