From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Best practices - flexible XServer
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:49:38
1 Hi list!
2
3 I found my current XServer-setup very inflexible and would like to hear
4 some tips for improving it. What I would like to have is a customizable
5 plug'n'play setup which I can configure without restarting the XServer.
6
7 Since I have a notebook, there are many occasions where I have to work
8 with hardware I don't know and on other occasions I need to use my own
9 peripheral devices as good as possible. So I need to customize my setup
10 for the devices I use every day without breaking compatibility with
11 unknown standard hardware.
12
13 So, what's the best way for configuring
14
15 1. usage of my own Logitech mouse as well as typical USB-mice and my
16 touchpad.
17 2. USB-keyboards as well as the build-in, all with custom multimedia and
18 Fn-keys.
19 3. external displays (VGA, DVI, LCD and TV-Out, one at a time would be
20 enough) with different aspects and resolutions with 3D-acceleration on
21 my Intel i945.
22
23 It should work with a minimum of additional software, no KDE, minimal
24 GNOME, XFCE preferred.
25
26 Thanks in advance!
27