From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lilo 'duplicate volume id' issue after attaching esata enclosure
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:51:23
1 On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been happily using lilo
3 > to boot from my internal 4-disk sata array (md, raid 1) for a while
4 > now and I recently bought an external sata enclosure. I cabled it up
5 > to my machine, added 4 disks I had sitting around, and on boot, lilo
6 > throws a 'duplicate vol-id detected' error and halts...
7 > I did a bunch of googling, and it looks like if I could just get
8 > booted, running 'lilo' would actually fix the problem, but I can't get
9 > lilo booted past this error.
10 >
11 > Ideas on how I can fix/remove the vol-id from the external disks?
12
13 I *think* those are going to be filesystem labels. If it's ext-based,
14 you should be able to use tune2fs to change them.
15
16 Is there a reason you can't boot from a liveDVD or similar, chroot in,
17 and run lilo? You'll have to get to a working system to change things
18 one way or another...
21 :wq