From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash-3.* ignores the first press of Shift+M [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:09:46
1 Jonathan Chocron wrote:
2 > Le Mercredi 17 Mai 2006 22:44, Benno Schulenberg a écrit :
3 > > This is absurd, but when in bash-3.1_p17 I press Shift+M, the
4 > > "M" only appears the moment I press another key. This happens
5 > > both in Konsole and on a VT. And also in xterm and rxvt.
6 >
7 > I have come across that kind of behaviuour when I was playing
8 > with unicode settings. It happened when I was using a unicode
9 > console with a non unicode keymap.
10
11 I've tried going back to UNICODE="no" and a POSIX locale, it didn't
12 help. To cut a long story short: it was inputrc. Some weeks ago I
13 tried adding extra aliases for history-search-backward. It didn't
14 work, but I forgot to remove the lines. They contained "\M"...
15
16 The way I finally figured it out was by having a secondary Gentoo
17 system, a half-year old copy of the current system: when chrooting
18 into it the problem was gone. After trying lots of things, it
19 finally occurred to me it might be a configuration problem. After
20 copying over the current /etc to the old system (saving its /etc
21 first, of course), the old system had the problem too. Then I
22 remembered inputrc.
23
24 > Are you sure there are not any app on your system that capture
25 > this specific combination ?
26
27 If that were the case, I'd expect it to also capture the key when
28 nano or tcsh or bash-2.05 are running, and it didn't.
29
30 > What keymap are you using ?
31
32 Plain "us".