From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tried desktop profile
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 17:28:59
1 On Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Jack wrote:
2
3 > Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 12:31:55
4 > From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tried desktop profile
8 >
9 > On 2020.10.15 00:03, Wols Lists wrote:
10 > >On 14/10/20 22:37, Jack wrote:
11 > >>Why do you need two graphics cards? I've been driving two monitors off each
12 > >>of the last several graphics cards I've used - both nVidia and ATI, from
13 > >>simple PCI to PCIE needing the extra power connector.
14 > >
15 > >Because I'm not driving two monitors. I'm running a two-user system. AIUI,
16 > >each session needs its own graphics card (which could drive two monitors for
17 > >that user).
18 > >
19 > Now that would be an interesting project - a single instance of X, but split
20 > between two different users, each on a separate monitor. I agree it's not
21 > feasible now, as xorg runs as the owning user. I would expect Wayland has the
22 > same restriction. Actually, I would find it interesting to have a separate
23 > session on each monitor just in plain text mode.
24 >
25 > Was the second graphics card you tried using also PCIE? If so, I wonder if
26 > you might get it to work with a PCI card as the second graphics card.
29 I just found out efi variables are not available on my new system.
30 portage is also upset.
31 !!! Repository 'x-portage is missing masters attribute in
32 '/usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf'
33 !!! !!! Set 'masters = gentoo' in this file for future compatibility
34
35 I don't know what to do to clear this error.