From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.1.3 + KDE-3.5.9 = messed up KDEDIRS ?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:57:06
1 On November 12, 2008, Peter Alfredsen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 12 November 2008, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
3 > > Hi everybody,
4 > >
5 > > I've just updated to 4.1.3 (slotted alongside with 3.5.9) and all of
6 > > sudden konqueror and akregator (didn't test much more, but I'm sure
7 > > something else was broke too) stopped launching hinting that there is
8 > > a CSS version mistmatch blah-blah-blah. Path to CSS suggested that
9 > > 4.1.3 was using CSS from 3.5.9 which was bizzare since it was working
10 > > before.
11 >
12 > You need to go fully ~arch on KDE for them to co-exist in a nicer way.
13
14 looking at BGO I somehow don't feel too encouraged to go fully ~arch ;)
15
16 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=3.5.10
17
18 most of bugs listed above suggest that things break when moving in 3.5.10
19 direction. I'm not really prepeared to part with 1 stable platform in favor
20 of using 2 unstable ones ;)
21
22 I'll have to live with workarounds for a while I think, since I really depend
23 on 3.5.x (i.e. fully functional KDE) and 4.1.3 is more of sneak-peek and an
24 attempt to adjust/get used to the "new way" ahead of time :)
25
26 Another silly question that bothers me now: KDE3 menu displayes "double"
27 entires for most KDE applications whereas KDE4 doesn't. Did anybody try to
28 solve this one (even as a workaround)? This behavior was there ever since I
29 first tried KDE-4.0.x.
32 Dmitry Makovey
33 Web Systems Administrator
34 Athabasca University