From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to mount a bad disk
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 01:31:45
1 On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:13:58 -0400
2 sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Mark Kirkwood wrote:
5 > > sean wrote:
6 > >> I have a Windows XP driver here that belongs to a friend that just
7 > >> crashed.
8 > >>
9 > >> I am trying to figure out if there is some way I can force the
10 > >> drive to mount on my system so that I can get some data off it for
11 > >> her.
12 > >>
13 > >> Not having much luck, would anyone have any tips as to how I might
14 > >> be able to make this happen?
15 > >
16 > > What happened when you tried to mount it (and is it formatted NTFS
17 > > or FATXX)?
18 > >
19 > > If the disk has real errors (i.e bad sectors as opposed to
20 > > software/windows problems), then app-forensics/autopsy might get the
21 > > important user data off.
22 > >
23 > > Cheers
24 > >
25 > > Mark
26 >
27 > Tried to mount it as NTFS.
28 >
29 > Not familiar with this software, will have to check it out.
30 >
31 > Thanks
32 > Sean
33 There are things you can do if - AND ONLY IF - the drive doesn't work
34 when used as usual. Don't try this until you're sure there's no other
35 option. Also, I have never done this, but have had it explained to me
36 by 2 techs, one who owns his own shop, and another who worked
37 at compUSA, in the tech department, and I belive them.
38
39 The first thing you can try is to freeze the drive. How to keep the
40 condensation out, I don't know.. I seem to recall seeing a drive in an
41 antistatic bag in a freezer but I don't know the details. hopefully
42 the internet can fill them in. You might also try keeping it cold with
43 compressed air cleaning canisters held upside down, or using them for
44 light cooling by themselves. Look into it, at any rate, because I
45 think this one's promising.
46
47 Secondly, a drive sometimes needs a little 'encouragement' before it'll
48 cough up the data. Try tapping , nudging, or banging it around a
49 little before you decide to throw it away.
50
51 I certainly hope this helps a bit. This is of course a last resort --
52 people are probably going to say it's rediculous, but there's no loss
53 at the point of your trashing the disk.
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list