From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Options for "emerge"
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:37:13
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 20/02/2022 14:54, Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 15:40, Dr Rainer
4 >> Woitok<rainer.woitok@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>> But if I understand the "emerge" manual page correctly,
6 >>> "--changed-deps"
7 >>> causes a rebuild of a package,  if one of its  dependencies has been
8 >>> re-
9 >>> build, even though the package does not require the newer version of
10 >>> the
11 >>> dependency.  So does it really make sense  to have this option
12 >>> hardcoded
13 >>> in a script?   Or does it just cause  plenty of package rebuilds
14 >>> without
15 >>> any real effect?  Likewise, what about "--deep"?  Should I keep it?
16 >> "--deep" seems like a good idea, to minimise the chance of trouble,
17 >> but "--changed-deps" does indeed seem excessive.
18 >>
19 >> I also have "--oneshot" in my updates, although I'm not sure if this
20 >> actually makes a difference on a world update.
21 >
22 > Oneshot just stops stuff being added by default to the world file, so
23 > on an update it'll have no effect whatsoever.
24 >>
25 >> I also have "--backtrack=100" to minimise the risk of portage not
26 >> being able to find an upgrade path for some troublesome package. Just
27 >> as "--deep" it will add to the time portage needs to calculate what
28 >> packages to update, but it feels like I've had less instances of
29 >> upgrade path troubles since adding it to my regular world update
30 >> command.
31 >
32 > :-) yes it seems most of my problems get solved by increasing
33 > backtrack so maybe I ought to do that too ...
34 >
35 > What I'd also like is an option --dont-stop. Similar to keep-going, it
36 > would kick in earlier. Keep-going only kicks in once the real emerge
37 > is running. What I would like with dont-stop is if the dependency
38 > calculation gives up, it would start emerging whatever it's found so
39 > far. I've found when things really go pear-shaped updating a system
40 > for the first time in yonks, looking at and updating what's updateable
41 > enables the next attempt to get a little further, etc etc, until
42 > suddenly everything updates.
43 >
44 > So basically, dont-stop would update everything it can.
45 >
46 > Cheers,
47 > Wol
52 I like the sound of dont-stop too.  Interesting.
53
54 Dale
55