From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS and old java (commercial software)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 17:59:13
1 On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:47:57 +0200 (CEST)
2 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I'm in need to use some commercial software (Matlab and Maple) which
7 > come with their own (probably old) version of Java.
8 >
9 > Now, both of those software packages cannot print, they don't see any
10 > CUPS printer UNLESS I remove the symlink /usr/lib/libcups.so which
11 > points to libcups.so.2
12 >
13 > But some GenToo packages do need that link, e.g. x11-lib/qt-gui won't
14 > install unless that link is there.
15 >
16 > I remember there is a bug with older versions of Java accessing CUPS,
17 > and probably my commercial packages contain such an old version.
18
19 http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6516881
20 Which leads to:
21 http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6500903
22
23 which suggests that a wrapper script like this for starting matlab
24 should do the trick:
25
26 ---------o<---------------o<-------
27 #!/bin/bash
28 export CUPS_SERVER=localhost
29 command_to_start_matlab
31
32 Alternately, try commenting out the line
33 Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
34 in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and restarting cups
35 ( If that is an acceptable solution for you, since this will mean cups
36 only listen on the TCP socket )
37
38 /loki_val