From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Power supply with no -5v rail?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:41:53
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 29 November 2006 01:18, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I just bought a new power supply. This is what I got:
7 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159040 I notice
8 >> that this thing has no -5 volt rail on it. Is this normal now?
11 > yes it is. -5V was only used by the isa slots. And without isa, there is no
12 > need for -5V. So it was dropped in one of the many ATX standard versions some
13 > time ago. If you have a fairly recent mobo without isa slots, you won't
14 > need -5V.
17 OK. That makes sense because I don't have ISA slots in this one. I do
18 have some in a older setup though. I need to remember this. < writes
19 note on hand >
20 >
21 >> I have this in my desktop rig with a Abit NF7 mobo, a AMD 2500+ CPU, 2
22 >> - 80GB IDE drives and one CD burner.
23 >>
24 >> I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow something up here. P/S
25 >> runs quiet as a mouse too. Fairly heavy too.
29 > worst case, the box won't boot. But there is no risk of blowing up anything
30 > (except when the PSU is faulty). You could ask the support of your mobo's
31 > vendor if you want to be on the absolut save side.
34 Well, it booted up and ran fine. Nothing has smoked yet so I think I am
35 going to be OK.
36
37 Now that I have this, I have the start of a NEW rig. Plan to build a 64
38 bit rig next. May take me a while though. Time to do some research. I
39 like building my own rigs. Since I am disabled that makes it
40 interesting money wise.
41
42 Thanks
43