From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System maintainance, "emerge --depclean", "revdep-rebuild"
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:15:58
1 I have some serious issues trying to maintain three gentoo systems. I
2 fear it's time to ask for advice.
3
4 I have avoided "emerge --depclean" since I installed all three of my
5 systems last november. I do update two of the machines frequently.
6 Many issues and compilation failures are popping up, and ordinarily I
7 muddle through a few attempts at "emerge -uDv world" until the
8 problems go away. I have not faithfully either done "revdep-rebuild".
9 Now I have been trying again to follow up on maintainance. It's not
10 working.
11
12 I have avoided "emerge --depclean" in spite of the recommendations of
13 several list members both to me and as a matter of course in day to
14 day messages. However, I am reluctant because of none other than the
15 initial messages when trying to do so:
16
17 *** WARNING *** --depclean is known to be broken. It is highly recommended
18 *** WARNING *** that `emerge --update --newuse --deep world` be ran before
19 *** WARNING *** commencing. However, using --depclean may still break link
20 *** WARNING *** level consistency within your system. `revdep-rebuild`
21 *** WARNING *** from app-portage/gentoolkit can help to detect breakage.
22 *** WARNING ***
23 etc.
24
25 Here are the stats at the end of "remerge --depglean" I just tried today:
26
27 | Packages installed: 1477
28 | Packages in world: 320
29 | Packages in system: 65
30 | Unique package names: 906
31 | Required packages: 933
32 | Number to remove: 569
35 When running revdep-rebuild, when I try to do every once in a while,
36 invariably, the first package that is attempted to recompile fails,
37 and the process then fails.
41 I have installed a large number of packages, to do a large number of
42 things. There are many programs I could do without. The problem with
43 this approach is the enormous amount of time involved in simple
44 updates. My laptop, with only a 50GB HDD, requires to download 700GB
45 to emerge -uDv world. I am on a dialup at home, at school where I
46 work, the network is inconsistent, and even with several visits to a
47 wireless cafe, I am unable to complete this process.
48
49 It's time to thin down. I have installed kde and gnome, and a bunch
50 of other display/window managers. I now use enlightenment 17
51 exclusively, so I could do away with a lot of cruft. But emerge
52 --depclean is removing quite a few programs that are useful to me.
53
54 I am still being bitten by libexpat.so.0 quite frequently. One of two
55 of the programs involved are serious problems, since the offenders are
56 other libraries or dependencies. Usually I can just re-emerge the
57 affected package, and the problem is temporarily solved. Some
58 programs that I have done that for, are now, after a couple of months,
59 doing it again.
60
61 Should I go ahead and "emerge --depclean"? How about revdep-rebuild?
62 I am spending my entire summer trying to deal with these systems. I
63 loathe to do this process package by package.
64
65 Thanks for any ideas.
66
67 By the way, one of my systems broke down, so I'll be installing from
68 scratch. One will be much more conservative about installing
69 packages---at least gnome, kde, and other window managers.
70
71 Alan Davis
72 lngndvs@×××××.com
76 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com 1-670-256-2043
77
78 I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
79 must share it with other people who like it.
80 --------Richard Stallman
81 --
82 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list