From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 08:48:53
1 On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 08:25:05 +0100, lee wrote:
2
3 > >> > What about things like flash plugins? Those are often wanted on
4 > >> > desktops and need multilib.
5 > >>
6 > >> Flash sucks, and fortunately, it's dead.
7 > >
8 > > It should be, but it's not. There are still many sites that require
9 > > it.
10 >
11 > It's not my problem when they are still using it.
12
13 Your problems are not the subject of discussion.
14
15 > > That's where the ABI_* stuff comes in, which I believe should replace
16 > > multilib eventually. The problem is not software you compile, it is
17 > > precompiled software. If you don't like flash, here's another example
18 > > that you probably hate but is needed by a lot of people - Skype.
19 >
20 > Skype sucks --- and it's not usable at all because there is no privacy
21 > whatsoever. They will listen in and record whatever they like.
22
23 That's your opinion, which I tend to agree with, but it is once again
24 irrelevant. A lot of people use Skype, whether or not they like it, as I
25 have to.
26
27 > You may also have some ancient games you might want to play, or you can
28 > have an old computer that doesn't do 64bit. And if you do want to use
29 > 32bit software or an old computer, nothing would prevent you from
30 > selecting a profile that gives you 32bit support, or you can have
31 > everything in 32bit.
32 >
33 > That there are a few special cases for which some people still need it
34 > doesn't mean that everyone should be forced to use a multilib profile
35 > when 100% of the software they're running is 64bit.
36
37 Firstly, things like Flash and Skype are not special cases, they are
38 widely used and many of us have to use them, whether we like it or not.
39
40 Secondly, no one is forcing you to use anything? There is a no-multilib
41 profile, and nothing to stop you creating a no-multilib version of your
42 preferred desktop profile if you so wish (the desktop profiles are
43 basically a different set of default USE flags).
44
45 Multilib should be gong away on due time. Until then you have two courses
46 of action: complain about it or use a no-multilib profile with your
47 preferred flags. Only one of those choices has any real benefit.
51 Neil Bothwick
52
53 Oxymoron: Clearly Misunderstood.