From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 14:55:46
1 On Sonntag 23 Mai 2010, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Sunday 23 May 2010, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sonntag 23 Mai 2010, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday 23 May 2010 12:21:39 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
5 > > > > It would be great if mailing list software could be configured so
6 > > > > that only users who demonstrate they know how to unsubscribe could
7 > > > > subscribe in the first place. Example:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > - user subscribes
10 > > > > - mailing list replies: "please unsubscribe and subscribe again"
11 > > > > - if user fails to do so within a configurable amount of time,
12 > > > > forcibly unsubscribe him
13 > > > > - if user succeeds, leave him subscribed after the second
14 > > > > subscription.
15 > > >
16 > > > And how often would you impose refresher tests? Anyone's memory is
17 > > > fallible, as no-one knows better than I do.
18 > > >
19 > > > Better for this purpose would be to require all mailing lists to
20 > > > operate in the same way, but that's equally unlikely, as well as
21 > > > undesirable.
22 > > >
23 > > > > Just saying...
24 > > >
25 > > > What does that mean? I had a mother-in-law once who often added it to a
26 > > > critical remark, and I never understood what she meant by it either.
27 > >
28 > > and for the uncurable stupid, unsubscribe instructions are in the header
29 > > of
30 >
31 > > every mail send:
32 > I wouldn't call people who don't know how to unsubscribe stupid, as they
33 > most certainly aren't.
34 > But for sure, they should know how to find that information if needed, and
35 > all the "HELP UNSUBSCRIBE" kind of messages clearly show that they don't.
36 >
37 > And even your posting of the instructions now, cannot help future
38 > subscribers who won't read your email. That's why it would probably be
39 > better (in my opinion) to append the instructions to every message. But
40 > this is a very old debate and was discussed to death many times in the
41 > past, so I'm certainly not going to further it (and I hope it won't start
42 > another endless thread).
43 >
44 > (this is not directed to you Volker)
45 >
46 > If somebody wants to flame or continue to criticize, feel free to do that,
47 > I won't reply anyway as I have nothing more to add to what I've said
48 > already.
49
50 yeah, 'search mailing list archive' is such a hard thing to do. Why again
51 should laziness be tolerated?