From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMP not working?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 01:30:43
1 On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 19:58 -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
2 > actually the SMP "is" working, as in top shows 2 CPU's. but when i do
3 > an emerge --sync CPU1 stays pegged at 99% and CPU0 stays below 1% the
4 > entire time. this is a dual 200mhz U2 Sparc system, i was just
5 > wondering if this was normal or is there something messed up in my
6 > config?
7
8 AFAIK, certain operations can't use both CPU's because of the way
9 they're written. rsync (used by emerge --sync) may be one. At least
10 you'll use one cpu for rsync, and the other cpu for everything else you
11 may be doing at the time, so you'll still get a performance advantage.
12
13 > and sorry for posting this in the normal user list, i figured i would
14 > get more responses here as i dont think this is specific to Sparc
15 > hardware, but i could be wrong.
16
17 No worries! I don't know what the "official" word is, but this list is
18 more a general usage list, rather than gentoo specific issues.
19 --
20 Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>
21
22 How come financial advisors never seem to be as wealthy as they
23 claim they'll make you?
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list