From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:04:50
1 On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wednesday 15 December 2010 05:54:40 Dale wrote:
6 >> According to the mobo manual, if I enable AHCI, it is hot swappable.
7 >
8 > and enabling AHCI is the only sane option. So do it.
9 >
10 >> I
11 >> just ain't to comfy doing it.  I'd like to see it done with no smoke
12 >> getting out first.
13 >
14 > no smoke. Worst case: controller hangs, you have to reboot.
18 The worst case is _slightly_ worse than that, but certainly no smoke.
19 Some systems (my 6 drive RAID compute server for instance) changes
20 drive mapping between AHCI and compatibility modes so I had to adjust
21 /etc/fstab. If Dale is using labels of some type he will likely be
22 better off than I was.
23
24 There certainly won't be any harm caused by changing the BIOS setting
25 to AHCI and trying it out. Reboot and change BIOS back is all he would
26 have to do in my experience.
27
28 - Mark