From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locate
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:52:41
1 On Friday 11 May 2007 14:34, Martin S wrote:
2
3 > Just recently tried using
4 >
5 > locate foo.conf | cd
6 >
7 > to automagically move to the directory in which I've saved foo.conf
8 > Of course it didn't work as you can't cd to /bar/foo.conf
9
10 It would not have worked anyway, since cd does not read its input from
11 stdin. Try:
12
13 [/]$ echo "etc" | cd
14 -bash: echo: write error: Broken pipe
15 [/]$
16
17 > I didn't find a way to dropping the actual file name from the result
18 > of locate.
19 > I did a brief google on locate, but didn't find a switch to drop the
20 > actual file name from the result.
21
22 It's not a locate problem. Use the "dirname" command.
23
24 $ dirname /bar/foo.conf
25 /bar
26 $
27
28 and do something like
29
30 cd $(dirname "$(locate foo.conf)")
31
32 of course, make sure that the locate command returns just a single entry.
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list