From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 03:01:49
1 Jack wrote:
2 > Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
3 >
4 > As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent
5 > from "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional
6 > address.  Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the
7 > sourceforge system to a personal address I specify.  When I send a
8 > message "From: " that address, however, I cannot send it through the
9 > sourceforge system, as I don't actually have an email account with
10 > them.  Currently, I send it through my gmail account.  That works
11 > because I added that address in my gmail Settings under "Accounts and
12 > Import" /  "Send mail as:".  To set it up, gmail sends a message to
13 > that address, and I click on a link in the message to prove it does
14 > come to me.  That's been working find for a long time, but, ...
15 >
16 > I'm trying to move away from gmail.  Especially for mailing lists like
17 > this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
18 > message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
19 > because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
20 >
21 > I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
22 > namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
23 > setup.  I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
24 > them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
25 >
26 > So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider that
27 > understands this and will let me set it up.  I have my own domain, but
28 > namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate DNS record
29 > point to a different email provider.  At this point, I'm not
30 > interested in running my own email server.  I currently only need two
31 > mailboxes, maybe a small number more in the future, but this is
32 > personal, not commercial.  I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up to
33 > a dozen or so recipients.  I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost is
34 > at least some consideration.  I don't need huge storage limits, as
35 > although I use IMAP access when on the road, when I'm home, I use POP3
36 > to download everything.  I'd also like at least minimal control over
37 > spam filtering, mainly to let almost anything through for me to filter
38 > locally.  If privateemail.com has false positives for everything from
39 > some sender (such as ups.com, for example) I need to open a ticket
40 > with them to add a whitelist.  No such thing as clicking on "Not spam"
41 > and apparently no intent to ever do so.
42 >
43 > Thanks for any suggestions.
44 >
45 > Jack
49 I use gmail as well and the way I get around it not sending my reply
50 back to me, I BCC myself.  Of course, I have to remember to do that each
51 time but it works, for me at least.  That may help you in the meantime.
52
53 I'd like to move to a secure email provider myself.  I found one but I
54 can't find the link or remember the name at the moment.  The server is
55 in a country where privacy comes first.  According to them, Govts just
56 don't allow searches.  After I hit send, maybe it will come to me.  I do
57 recall the cost not being to bad.  I just hate switching plus I have PGP
58 set up for those times when I need it.
59
60 Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes.  ;-)
61
62 Dale
63