From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still Struggling With Wireless
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:55:25
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help. Yes! I've posted
5 > before. And before anyone asks, I have read the responses to my
7 > the wikis - ad nauseum. I'm still having problems with wireless.
8 >
9 > Things were so much easier when I could just use the ipw3945 driver.
10 > However, I can't build that because it requires TKIP and CCMP, neither
11 > of which I can find settings for in my active kernel, 2.6.34-gentoo-r1.
12 > In one of the responses to my previous posts someone told me about the /
13 > trick while in the kernel configuration to bring up a search menu. I
14 > did this and the only reference I could find for TKIP was one related to
15 > debugging.
18 I use wpa_supplicant to provide the wifi crypto.
21 > So, I'm left with trying to use the iwl3945 driver in the kernel. I
22 > followed the wiki for setting this up and thought I had succeeded. I
23 > got to the point where I was told to type the following:
24 > ifconfig wlan0 up (this does activate the wireless led on my computer)
25 > iwlist wlan0 scan
26 > iwconfig wlan0 essid "network name" (where the network name is the
27 > essid that has been set)
28 >
29 > When I got this to work, I thought I was home free despite the "kludgy"
30 > way of getting wireless working. However, I rebooted and now, when I
31 > type iwlist wlan0 scan I get told that scanning is not supported. Yes,
32 > I have iwl3945-ucode installed and yes, it was recompiled after the
33 > kernel was rebuilt.
34 >
35 > I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
38 Forgetting to post up your configs :) eg /etc/conf.d/net etc