From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] deep emerge and masked Xorg
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:02:48
1 Skippy wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I would like to use emerge -D on my system, but it is pretty
5 > consistently blocked. You can see an example of this below.
6 >
7 > I think the reason for this is because I have masked Xorg. I'm still
8 > running 1.3.0.0-r6. My last attempt to upgrade Xorg resulted in a
9 > totally hosed system which had to be restored from backups.
10 >
11 > Is there a way I can do a deep emerge and have the latest versions of
12 > Xorg masked? Or is such an action simply not possible without
13 > upgrading Xorg?
14 >
15 > Thanks much, Skippy
19 Well, I had trouble with the new xorg-server too. I added
20 "x11-base/xorg-server -hal" to /etc/portage/package.use and everything
21 worked fine here. That disables hal which is what causes all the
22 problems. My KDE still works fine and as far as I can tell, made no
23 difference whatsoever.
24
25 I'm running the latest stable xorg-server and you may want to try it
26 this way. It may be easier that keeping the old xorg-server like you
27 have now.
28
29 Just a thought.
30