From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 01:38:26
1 On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:56:09AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > How is this better than a 500G filesystem mounted at /?
4
5 Try wiping the OS and re-installing (or installing a different distro
6 for that matter) with "a 500G filesystem mounted at /"... without
7 backing up your data and restoring afterwards. With my setup, wipe all
8 files in the /partition and in the bindmounted directories, leaving the
9 empty directories, and do the install.
10
11 > 2. Please explain in detail how you will create a 4TB file system
12 > without LVM. This is NOT an edge case, this is a very real situation
13 > that occurs in data centres daily.
14
15 I repeat again, I was talking about a 500 gig system on a home
16 machine. I acknowledge that one size does not fit all, and an average
17 home machine solution does not necessarily work in a data centre.
18
19 > 3. Take your proposal and explain to me in detail how you will
20 > prevent a backdoor or trojan from installing and executing scripts
21 > in /tmp and /var. Considering the massive problem that Windows has
22 > caused the world through an inability to do this, I would say this
23 > is a very important thing to be able to.
24
25 If a trojan can install stuff in a directory owned by root, it's
26 already too late. And remember that a regular user account can run mail
27 to send spam, or ping or DNS lookups to take part in DDOS attacks.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
31 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
32 A. I think it would be a good idea.
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list