From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] high priority task as user (nice/ionice)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:20:12
1 Hi,
2
3 with guvcview I capture video streams of some birds, which
4 sometime arrive on the roof.
5 When they do I press the record button of the guvcview application.
6
7 The webcam I use is able to deliver 30fps at 640x320 pixel with audio
8 via usb.
9 Unfortunately while recording nothing else should use the CPU/the IO
10 system heavily otherwise I will get an vi-vi-ddd-d----d-deooo-o--o-o
11 (stuttering performance).
12
13 In this list I read about ionice and nice, which latter I know before.
14 Form the manpages of both I read, that only root is allowed to give
15 process higher priority than normal.
16 I want to give guvcview high IO- and CPU-priority without the hassle
17 to pickup PIDs and lunch nice/ionice by root-hand after the start of
18 guvcview (user-process).
19
20 And I am iusing icewm (no KDE/GNOME as desktop)
21
22 Is there any chance to start guvcview with user rights AND to give the
23 application higer priorities so that whatever guvcview wants from the
24 system will be served as soon as possible to avoid stuttering videos?
25
26 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
27
28 Have a nice sunday!
29 mcc
32 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
33 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
34 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
35 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.