From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 22:13:30
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 12:36 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I've found that asking here is best. If it wasn't for my post here, I
4 >> would have stuck with Linksys because it is what I've used in the past.
5 >> Thing is, a post here lead me to a better product, even tho it wasn't a
6 >> Linksys product. It's one reason I post questions here quite often. I
7 >> get more info from here than I could likely ever find elsewhere because
8 >> most people here post about their own experience not some theory. You
9 >> should know, you post about yours quite often and it's generally a good
10 >> idea to give it some weight when deciding something.
11 >>
12 > Linksys had that one router eons ago that was capable of running linux
13 > (might have run it out of the box - I forget). Back in the day there
14 > weren't many options and they were one of the better ones.
15 >
16 > They only got worse, and a lot of much better options have come out
17 > since then. LOTS of better options. There are ARM-based PCs designed
18 > to run pfsense and so on with multiple NICs. Buffalo makes routers
19 > with DD-WRT pre-installed, and while I'd double check in the past they
20 > could all be trivially flashed to OpenWRT.
21 >
22 > I'd also seriously consider Ubiquiti. An ER-X can be found in the $60
23 > range and supports routing at gigabit speeds. It runs linux already
24 > out of the box with ssh/etc and a CLI, or a nice web GUI. It looks
25 > like it isn't hard to flash OpenWRT on it as well though there seem to
26 > be some caveats (disclaimer: I've never tried it).
27 >
28 > There are a couple of good options.
29 >
30 > I'd seriously consider using something that does what you want out of
31 > the box before going the OpenWRT route. I don't think EdgeOS is
32 > actually FOSS, but it is largely built on FOSS, so if it does what you
33 > want out of the box and is easy to maintain that is a win, and if at
34 > any point it doesn't get support you can then go the OpenWRT route.
35 >
36 > That said, I've run a router on OpenWRT for ages as well. I think
37 > that is a bit more work without much gain, but you can do it.
38 >
39 > Oh, one thing I would avoid doing is running a bazillion services on
40 > your router. Yes, if it is a linux/bsd box you can run whatever you
41 > want on it. Yes, a lot of that stuff is already packaged and easy to
42 > install. Just consider why you have a firewall in the first place (ie
43 > another layer of isolation), and that this is likely a device with
44 > minimum CPU/RAM/etc and whether you REALLY want to be hosting all this
45 > stuff on a box that is a serious PITA to backup/image or rescue if it
46 > doesn't boot up right. Generally I don't host anything on a router
47 > that isn't directly related to its mission, so that could include
48 > updating a dynamic DNS address, serving DHCP, or maybe serving DNS.
49 > I've tried running OpenVPN and such on them and have found performance
50 > generally suffers for it.
54 Someone mentioned the Linksys I have is a somewhat crippled version or
55 something like that.  Still, it has worked for ages with zero problems.
56 I think I had to reset it once to fix something.  Thing is, I've had to
57 reset my modem a couple times too.  I think during storms some noise
58 gets on the phone line, DSL here, and it screws it up somehow.  It's
59 rare tho.  Still, I've been happy with the thing even tho it is crippled
60 or something.
61
62 One thing I've learned in electronics, what is good this year may be
63 awful the next.  My First rig had a Abit mobo.  Shortly after that they
64 seem to have went downhill and then went out of business it seems.  My
65 current rig has a Gigabyte mobo, was a good board and brand when I
66 bought it.  Thing is, Gigabyte, the newer stuff, may be crap nowadays.
67 Who knows.  Same with hard drives, one batch may be awesome, the next
68 may be a total disaster.  As you said, Linksys used to be a good brand.
69 It seems TP-Link may have took a little out of that.  Likely some others
70 as well.  It's just the way it is nowadays with fast production and
71 lower quality.  One doesn't know tho until one asks.  ;-)
72
73 Given what I have now and that what I'm looking into seems to be a
74 better router, it will likely be a plug-n-play for me.  Once TP-Link
75 stops supporting it, then I may have to use Openwrt or something.  At
76 least I have some options and it will support the IPv6 stuff out of the
77 box.  I'm still not sure about my modem yet.  Either bridged mode or a
78 new one of those to I guess.
79
80 Thanks for all the info.
81