From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 on a 64bit system?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:17:50
1 On February 15, 2021 4:15:43 AM PST, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On Sunday, 14 February 2021 21:48:36 GMT Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >> Am Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 12:51:30PM -0500 schrieb Jack:
4 >> > As I remember, /lib and /usr/lib hold not only 32 bit libraries,
5 >but
6 >> > non-arch or arch-irrelevant (I know there's a better term) files.
7 >>
8 >> arch-agnostic? ;-)
9 >
10 >No, it should be arch-neutral. Agnosticism is about religion and has
11 >nothing
12 >to do with it.
13
14 Technically "canonical" also only applies to religious texts. That doesn't keep us from using it descriptively in other areas.
15
16 Bigger problem is that "arch agnostic" would mean only that the program is incapable of knowing what the arch was. Not that it can work with any arch or that the arch is irrelevant. So "independent" or "neutral" is a better choice in this context.
17
18 LMP