From: tecnic5@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firewall make.conf settings
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:20:59
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
2 Enviado por: news <news@×××××××××.org>
3 24/01/2008 15:59
4 Por favor, responda a gentoo-user
5
6 Para: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 cc:
8 Asunto: [gentoo-user] firewall make.conf settings
9
10 Hello,
11
12 I keep driving to make the size of the (gentoo) firewall as small(fast) as
13 posible to run on minimal resources. I have a mixture of old pentiums and
14 amd (k6) machines. I'd like to have one make.conf file for all the
15 systems.
16
17 Anybody see anything wrong (not optimized) with these settings?
20 CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
21 CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
22 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
23 MAKEOPTS="-j2"
24 USE=" -* hardened acl ssl crypt nptl nptlonly"
25
26 Will -march=i586 work well with the amd k6 arch?
27 -fomit-frame-pointer (as no debugging wil)l occur on said machines)
30 Any comments on the USE flags? (a better way to minimize the installed
31 packages (which is vim and iptables and sshd)
34 James
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
41 If you'd like to use the same make.conf for different machines you should
42 make sure they all have same processors or, at least, same family of
43 processors; in your case, I recommend using -mcpu instead of -march. Keep
44 in mind that K6 processors have their own -marc=k6 and might not be
45 comptable with -march=i586. More in /etc/make.conf.example.
46
47 About USE flags, I recommend using "-va" options on every merge, check
48 wich USE flags are enabled or disabled for each package and dinamicaly
49 make your USE variable up.
52 HTH,
53 Abraham Marín Pérez <tecnic5@××××××××.com>
54 --