From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:04:32
1 On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:20:01PM +0200, Dale wrote:
2 > David W Noon wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:20:02 +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
4 > > [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files:
7 > >> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:57:58 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
8 > >>
9 > > [snip]
10 > >
11 > >>> Remember: we are discussing the COMPLETE DELETION of a
12 > >>> package, not an upgrade or rebuild.
13 > >>>
14 > >> We are discussing unmerge behaviour, unmerging is part of the upgrade
15 > >> and rebuild processes.
16 > >>
17 > > Now I see why we are talking/writing at cross purposes.
18 > >
19 > > What I am proposing I would apply only to -C or -c options on an emerge
20 > > command, not the internal actions during an upgrade/rebuild. I have
21 > > stated that several times in this thread, so I thought I had made
22 > > myself clear.
25 > Even if the -C option is used, I would still want it to be something
26 > extra to remove config files. As stated before, I sometimes emerge -C a
27 > package then emerge it again. I still want the config files to be left
28 > alone tho. I have also had to do this before for *B*lockers where
29 > portage couldn't do it itself for whatever reason.
30 >
31 > I would think this would be a idea on this. Do a emerge -C to get the
32 > regular way and a emerge -CC to remove everything literally, including
33 > config files.
34 >
35 > As someone else posted, I seriously doubt the devs will do this.
36 > Possible but not likely. I like the idea but still want it to be
37 > something extra to get it and not the default for sure.
40 Like debian's "--purge" option to their "apt-get remove" command.
41 It seems reasonable. There've been times I'd have liked a simple
42 inventory of all files relating to a package after unmerging it,
43 like "warning -- the following files are associated with [pkg]
44 but will not be automatically removed due to having been modified".
47 caveat utilitor