From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 23:16:57
1 On Monday, 13 January 2020 22:40:14 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:15:31 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > According to my emerge --info output I have sandbox, usersandbox and
4 > > userpriv, all set. The owner of my portage directory and all files
5 > > therein is root:root. Should the ownership be portage:portage? What
6 > > is the default?
7 >
8 > As it happens, I switched a machine from rsync to git syncing last night,
9 > so started with a new tree. Everything is root:root. That implies that
10 > portage does not drop permissions for the sync, otherwise it wouldn't be
11 > able to write to the tree. And ps confirms that with an rsync sync, rsync
12 > is running as root.
13
14 Thanks Neil, this this leaves me mildly confused as to what the gentoo-default
15 ownership of portage tree is/should be. Until I hear differently I'll leave
16 my old installations as portage:portage and the latest as root:root.
19 Regards,
20
21 Mick