From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why has genkernel initramfs changed behaviour!?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 23:54:09
1 On 18/11/21 7:24 am, Jack wrote:
2 > On 2021.11.17 18:15, Wol wrote:
3 >> Just filed bug 824282.
4 >>
5 >> In the past, I've always done "make kernel, make kernel_modules, make
6 >> install, make modules_install, genkernel initramfs ...".
7 >>
8 >> This worked fine, and I then ran grub-mkconfig, sorted out grub.cfg,
9 >> and all was well.
10 >>
11 >> My new setup, I have a /boot WHICH I WANT TO SORT OUT MYSELF! I got
12 >> thoroughly confused because genkernel was finding /boot in fstab,
13 >> mounting it by default, and sticking the initramfs there. So of
14 >> course, grub-mkconfig screwed up because the kernel was in the /boot
15 >> directory, but the initramfs was in the /boot partition!
16 >>
17 >> So I told genkernel not to mount the boot partition ...
18 >>
19 >> WAH WAH WAH FATAL ERROR YOU WON'T LET ME MOUNT BOOT SULK SULK SULK.
20 >>
21 >> If I tell it not to mount boot then that's my lookout, not for
22 >> genconfig to nanny me and sulk!
25 >> And it gets worse. I've always done "make modules_install, genkernel
26 >> initramfs". Which now seems to be an unsupported option. genkernel is
27 >> now looking in /var/tmp/genkernel/... for the modules - no surprise
28 >> the modules aren't there! The error says "did you forget to compile
29 >> the kernel" - no I didn't - it is compiled, the modules are
30 >> installed, I just didn't use genkernel to do it.
31 >>
32 >> Why oh why does everything change ... for the worse ... now let's see
33 >> if allowing it to mount the boot partition makes it work properly ...
34 >>
35 >> and allowing it to mount boot made everything work perfectly afaict
36 >> ... what a mess ...
37 >>
38 >> Cheers,
39 >> Wol
40 > I have no problem telling genkernel not to mount ./boot, but then I
41 > always have /boot mounted, so I suppose it might not complain only
42 > because it's set up the way it wants it anyway.
43 >
44 > I also use genkernel to compile the kernel and modules, but I do "make
45 > xconfig" to set my own choice of options, and tell genkernel to skip
46 > any of that configuring.  I've had no problems with doing it that
47 > way.  if you want, I can send you a copy of my genkernel.conf.  I
48 > launch it with "genkernel --no-gpg --lvm --firmware --microcode
49 > --kernel-append-localversion=$1 all | tee genkern.log 2>&1" so I can
50 > have multiple versions of the same kernel version (usually because I
51 > want to test some different setting, but don't want the original to be
52 > overwritten in case the new version doesn't work or just doesn't do
53 > what I want.
54 >
55 > Jack
56 >
57 I agree something is amiss in the current genkernel.  I have a raspberry
58 pi with a number of OS variants in separate partitions that I maintain
59 via chroot's ... genkernel somehow mounted /boot into the chroot
60 properly clobbering things there by putting a 32bit kernel in /boot for
61 the 64bit OS ...
62
63 BillK