From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB drive dead? (Commands to check?)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:40:01
1 On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>   I seem to have lost an external USB drive I've been using on my
6 >> MythTV backend server for video storage. What commands can I try to
7 >> get it to wake up or at least show me what's working and what isn't?
8 >> The drive shows under fdisk /dev/sda. I can see the large partition,
9 >> and it seems to be the right size, according to fdisk anyway, but I
10 >> cannot mount it using mount, and so far I cannot get e2fsck to do
11 >> anything.
12 >
13 > I had similar errors with an external USB drive recently and it turned
14 > out to be related to the USB port on the computer. (I suspect the USB
15 > controller was overloaded). I plugged it into a port on a different
16 > controller and it started working normally again. So some easy things
17 > I would suggest trying before messing with data:
18 >
19 > A) diferent USB port on the same computer
20 > B) plug it into a different computer entirely
21 > C) try a different USB cable
25 By definition this will be true when I move it from the PPC-based Myth
26 backend to the AMD64-based MythTV frontend here in the office. If it
27 'magically' starts working then that sort of cause may well be the
28 reason.
29
30 I'll report back on this but won't likely touch it before the weekend.
31
32 Thanks!
33
34 Cheers,