From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] core i5
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:27:34
1 Am 23.11.2010 22:16, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >>> I consider buying a i5-661 on a DQ57TM board ---
4 >> And I still haven't done it ;-)
5 > That's quite a wait! ;-)
6
7 Yeah, you know --- financial crisis and stuff :-)
8
9 > Yes, I use vmware-player and VirtualBox-OSE. I built my Player VM's
10 > using Workstation on a 1 month license and have used Player (from the
11 > vmware-workstation ebuild in the Pentoo library) for the last year.
12 > They work great.
13
14 ok
15
16 > I use VirtualBox-OSE to run Microsoft Home Server. That works great also.
17
18 uh, who needs *that* ? on this mailing-list? ;-)
19
20 >> I only recently switched to the Player here ... and I was positively
21 >> surprised.
22 >
23 > I'm on my i980x Gentoo machine and am running 3 VM's at the moment all
24 > in Player. It works well.
25 >
26 > I actually haven't done much with VMWare-Player on the i5-661 mostly
27 > because the machine runs Windows most of the time right now.
30 > i think if I was going to use prebuild VMs then I'd likely go with
31 > VMWare-Player because I have more history with it. If I was going to
32 > do new installations then I'd work on VirtualBox.
33
34 When I started with virtual stuff vmware-server was(/seemed?) more
35 powerful than -player ... and I stayed with it for quite some time
36 without ever re-checking features.
37
38 Player now is easier to use with current kernels and vmware-modules and
39 does also remove some issues I had with vmware-server. So: OK .. player!
40
41 Right now my vmware-bases VMs run fine with player.
42
43 But this is virtualization-talk vs. cpu-talk (=subject of thread)
44
45 -
46
47 I still consider getting a core-i5 or -i7 "for christmas" :-)
48
49 It won't get me more spare time, just quicker compile-times ;-)
50
51 S