From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:44:45
1 >> ... What if I bought a low-price/low-capacity SSD drive for each
2 >> of these systems, installed the system essentials on them, and used my
3 >> existing high-capacity HD drives for data storage?  Would each system
4 >> keep running if the HDs died?  If so, I think that would offer as good
5 >> or better system reliability than RAID1.  What do you think?
6 >
7 > You don't need to buy SSD "drives" - instead you could use CF cards and a
8 > cheap adaptor. These are commensurate in capacity & cost with USB flash
9 > drives (4gig, maybe 16gig?), but CF cards "talk EIDE" and you can get cheap
10 > pin-convertors allowing you to connect them to EIDE cables and treat them
11 > like a hard-drive.
12
13 Aren't CF cards much slower than SSD drives and HD drives?
14
15 > I know of these used in Asterisk based PABX systems & PoS tills with the
16 > expectation that they're more reliable than disks, and have read statements
17 > by people deploying quantities of such machines that they've never had a
18 > failure in years of use.
19
20 I like the sound of that.
21
22 > I don't know how that really compares to RAID 1 - if you use hardware RAID
23 > (and you can get hardware SATA controllers for £50 these days) then you can
24 > assign a hot-spare, and hot-swap a replacement drive with zero downtime.
25 > With hardware RAID you can still boot if one of the drives fails, but you do
26 > add the controller as a potential point-of-failure.
27
28 Would the system keeping running if I used a CF or SSD for the system
29 install and the HD drive died?
30
31 - Grant