From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:14:52
1 On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 18:18, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thursday, June 23 at 09:54 (+0200), Joost Roeleveld said:
4 >
5 > > > Any such program to build XenServer appliances (.xva) ?
6 > >
7 > > Shouldn't it work similarly?
8 > > Eg. start an appliance and install using the stage4?
9 > >
10 > > I use Xen directly and as long as I can create and fill the partitions
11 > > for the
12 > > VM, any "creation" tool should work.
15 > Yes the stage4 should work similarly.  However Pandu was asking about
16 > building ".xva" which I know nothing about, unless an .xva is similar
17 > to/same as a stage4 (I have no idea)?
18
19 Um, an ".xva" is more like a qcow2 file.
20
21 With Citrix' XenCenter, all I have to do is "import" the xva, and
22 XenServer automagically creates a VM with a specified RAM, specified
23 storage, specified cores, etc.
24
25 Of course these settings (RAM, storage, cores) can be modified
26 post-import, but usually xva-makers already set the settings to the
27 recommended minimum. So, it saves the xva users from planning stage
28 :-)
29
30 Plus, xva-packaged appliances are usually already configured to run in
31 PV-mode, thus giving the highest performance over XenServer.
32
33 Rgds,
34 --
35 Pandu E Poluan
36 ~ IT Optimizer ~
37 Visit my Blog: http://pepoluan.posterous.com
38 Google Talk:    pepoluan
39 Y! messenger: pepoluan
40 MSN / Live:      pepoluan@×××××××.com (do not send email here)
41 Skype:            pepoluan
42 More on me:  My LinkedIn Account  My Facebook Account