From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:09:32
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 03:39 on Monday 17 January 2011, William
2 Kenworthy did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 17:26 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
6 wrote:
7 > > > On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 14:41 -0800, Grant wrote:
8 > ...
9 >
10 > > I think that's well worded. He has insufficient memory when emerging.
11 > >
12 > > If he's really running short of DRAM Then he might also do well to
13 > > boot to a console and do his emerges there. No memory given over to
14 > > other things like KDE or browsers, etc.
15 > >
16 > > I am a bit surprised though that a -j1 type emerge would be running
17 > > out of memory on a 3GB machine. I just finished emerge updates on a
18 > > desktop with 4GB and only used 2.5GB which includes KDE, FIrefox and a
19 >
20 > > number of other things:
21 > I have a diskless 3GB ram atom system (mythtv frontend) and I have to
22 > arrange swap over nbd for gcc and glibc emerges - others just get very
23 > slow when getting to limits, or get flaky unless -j1 is used. Havent
24 > tried OO on it yet :)
25
26 I'M flabbergasted. 3G is really a gigantic amount of memory and yet the
27 machine still runs out of the stuff?
28
29 Something is seriously wrong somewhere when code does this. I know memory is
30 cheap and all, but still ... that's just excessive
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com