From: Lee K <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the difference between emerge's --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 06:45:15
1 On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 01:59:13AM +0100, Morgan Wesström wrote:
2 > On a freshly updated system (emerge -uDN @world):
3 >
4 > "emerge @changed-deps" wants to reinstall 0 packages.
5 >
6 > "emerge -u --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 24 packages.
7 >
8 > "emerge -uD --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 181 packages.
9 >
10 > A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as I
11 > understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in an
12 > existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was to use
13 > --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using it in my
14 > regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the third example
15 > above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages that doesn't have any
16 > updated versions and I'm wondering if this is working as intended. I have a
17 > hard time believing that gentoo devs are pushing changes to existing ebuilds in
18 > such numbers on a regular basis without bumping the revision level.
19 >
20 > Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set, which I
21 > assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce the same
22 > result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or so.
23 >
24 > Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is
25 > between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and
26 > what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other
27 > kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?
28 >
29 > Regards
30 > Morgan
31
32 Don't know if it's relevant or not but recently upstream deprecated the
33 "KERNEL" USE flag, resulting in many rebuilds for packages.