From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Rootwindow Sysmon?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:12:08
1 On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> [09-09-16 18:08]:
3 >> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 05:51:30PM +0200, Penguin Lover meino.cramer@×××.de squawked:
4 >> > on my way to the "best" window manager (at least for my needs ;) )
5 >> > I came across a lot of screenshots of themes.
6 >> > More than one screenshot shows something which looks like a
7 >> > system monitor a la gkrellm but it was painted plain onto
8 >> > the background / root window.
9 >>
10 >> It may help if you point us to the screen shot.
11 >>
12 >> But quite a few X applications allow drawing directly to the root
13 >> window. For example, torsmo and conky (both in portage), supports the
14 >> -w switch to specify the window id. You just need to specify the right
15 >> one for the root window :)
16 >>
17 >> http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html
18 >> http://torsmo.sourceforge.net/readme.php
19 >>
20 >> W
21 >> --
22 >> A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France would result in Linoleum Blownapart.
23 >> Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1013 days, 14:53
24 >
25 > Hi,
26 >
27 > thank you for your posting ! :)
28 >
29 > Screenshot? ...oh yes! Sorry...
30 > Here it is (upper left corner):
31 >
32 > http://customize.org/thumbnails/larger/53967.jpg
33 >
34 > By the way; For an unkown reason to me I am not
35 > able to download any theme from customize org.
36 > Is this a javascript problem? Does anyone else
37 > managed to download a theme from there?
41 > --
42 > Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
43 > unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
44 > See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
45 > In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.
48 Definitely conky [1]... and that's a rather minimal config for it.
49
50 I use a slightly modified version of the triple setup down at the
51 bottom of that page [2], and it gives me at-a-glance info on just
52 about everything related to my little laptop.
53
54 As for downloading from customize.org, it doesn't appear to use js at
55 all in the download... what's the actual effect when you click one of
56 the d/l links?
57
58 [1] http://conky.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
59 [2] http://conky.sourceforge.net/conky-dlab.png